Value Builder Engagement
“As a trained scientist, any tool I use must be proven from all angles. The Value Builder SystemTM doesn’t lie. It forces you to be honest and then shows you where the opportunities are.”
— Max Mabuti, Owner, Flat-Foot Engineering
If you’re like a lot of entrepreneurs, you assume your industry and its size will determine the value of your company. While size matters, eight other factors impact the value of your company more than your industry.
In fact, after analyzing more than 55,000 businesses, The Value Builder System™ has discovered getting these eight factors right can lead to acquisition offers that are more than twice the industry average. Likewise, we have seen examples of companies getting less than half the industry average multiple because of a weakness in one or more of these eight areas. To see how your company scores, you can complete the Value Builder questionnaire and get a report on how you’re doing in each area.
If your goal is to build a more valuable company in 2021, here are some New Year’s resolutions to consider:
- Stop chasing revenue. A bigger company is not necessarily a more valuable one if the extra sales come from products and services that are too reliant on you to deliver them.
- Start surveying your customers using the Net Promoter Score methodology. It’s a fast and easy way for your customers to give you feedback, and it’s predictive of your company’s growth in the future.
- Sell less stuff to more people. The most valuable companies have a defendable niche selling a few differentiated products and services to many customers. The least valuable businesses sell lots of undifferentiated products and services to a concentrated group of buyers.
- Drop the products or services that depend on you. If you offer something that needs you to produce or sell it, consider dropping it from your offerings. Services and products that require you suck up your time and cash and don’t contribute significantly to your business’s value.
- Collect more money upfront. Turn a negative cash flow cycle into a positive one and you boost your business’s value and lessen your stress load.
- Create more recurring revenue. Predictable sales from subscriptions or recurring contracts mean less stress in the short term and a more valuable business over the long run.
- Be different. Refine your marketing strategy to emphasize the point of differentiation that customers value. Be relentless in highlighting this advantage.
- Find a backup supplier for your most critical raw materials. Consider placing a small order to establish a commercial relationship and diversify the sources of your most-difficult-to-find materials.
- Teach them to fish. Answer every employee question of you with “What would you do if you owned the business?” Your goal should be to cultivate employees who think like owners so they can start answering their own questions without coming to you.
- Create an instruction manual. Document your most important processes so your employees can do their work independently.
Here’s to building a more valuable company in 2021!
Let's Get You Organized!
The professionals at CentralOffice LLC provide the tools you need to keep track of your expenses and keep your finances organized.